Sunday, November 11, 2012

Reverence for the Fallen

The fallen soldier waking up
Eyes met a foreign land
The world around him gleamed like snow
Though he still felt the grit of sand.

He sat up cautiously and found
His weapon now displaced
His turn to fight that lonely war
The blood of others marked his face

Fighting hard to stand erect,
The soldier surely knew
The land he's in is not the land he left
The free land's left his view.

He thought of friends, the ones he loved
And ideals worth fighting for
These thoughts, the ones that kept him strong
Throughout the endless war

Than in the distance, the soldier spied
A man he thought he knew
Friend or foe, he was not sure
But to his cause he would be true.

The soldier rose to meet the man,
Although he was unarmed.
He knew his fight, his one last stand
Could keep his loves from harm.

"You there," he said, raising his fists
"You with fire in your face.
I'm here to stand, defend my cause,
Protect my home, my sacred place."

"For years I've fought this hardy war
To help what I hold dear.
Them I'll defend until the end.
My mission has been clear."

The stranger came, stepped closer still,
'til the man could recognize
He knew that face, the scar filled hands,
The kind and loving eyes.

"My child," He said. "You've fought so long.
A weary time you've known.
Your deed is done. Your task complete.
It's time for coming home."

So hand in hand the Savior walked
The soldier off the field
For him, the fight went on no more
Twas time for him to yield.

Lord, bless the soldiers fighting on
The strong who fight for me.
Bless the ones who make it home.
From their horrors, set them free.

Above all, Lord, bless the ones
You take home far above.
Give them our thanks, our prayers, our praise
Theirs is the duty of true love.


1 comment: