Friday, April 5, 2013

Les "All the tears you can ever possibly cry"-ables

So, I have been on the biggest Les Miserables kick lately. I've always loved it, since I first saw it when I was twelve years old and the high school did it. I bawled. Sobbed. Since then, I saw it again onstage, watched the movie (which I thought was okay. But let's face it. Hugh Jackman butchered "Bring Him Home"), and I am currently listening to the audiobook, which has been extremely illuminating. And I just keep loving it more and more.

Because I've listened to the music so many times, I have started noticing some interesting things. I started to realize that some of the songs have the same basic melody. At first, I was upset. I was upset at the laziness of the composers. This beautiful musical deserves more than simply rewriting lyrics. But upon recognizing which songs had similar melodies, I realized that it was  done on purpose. The composers, instead of being lazy, were making purposeful MUSICAL ALLUSIONS!!!!

Needless to say, I freaked out. I started drawing all sort of connections between characters and events in the musical. Possibly it's my natural English major showing, but anytime I found another connection, I found something even deeper meaning in the story. I'll include links here so that you can hear the songs for yourself. I avoided some of the more overt ones (Do You Hear the People Sing/Finale or One Day More for example), but I wanted to point out some of the connections I've found.





This is probably my favorite connection that I have found. This was the first one I noticed, that nearly the same song opens and closes the play. I love it because it suddenly brings these two warring characters so very close together. Javert is the antithesis of our hero Valjean, but these songs show us that they are not that different. At this point in his life, Valjean has made only bad decisions. He has become hardened to the world around him but comes to realize that he needs to change his entire life, that he needs to change his perspective completely to be able to continue living. He chooses to dedicate his life to God.

"I am reaching but I fall
And the night is closing in
As I stare into the void
To the whirlpool of my sin.
I'll escape now from this world
From the world of Jean Valjean
Jean Valjean is nothing now.
Another story must begin."

But, it is the same for Javert in the song he sings before his suicide. He even sings some of the same phrases (gives me chills). Javert, after seeing Valjean, begins to wonder if maybe he has been wrong about his entire life. The strict laws he have lived his entire life by are suddenly upset and he tries to figure out how he can live his life in this new world. There lies the major difference between the two of them. Javert can't change. He can't reconcile this new world with his opinion of the way things should be. 

"I am reaching but I fall
And the stars are black and cold
As I stare into the void
Of a world that cannot hold.
I'll escape now from this world
From the world of Jean Valjean.
There is no where I can turn.
There is no way to go on."





I was extremely surprised to recognize this connection with "On My Own" being such a big belty song from the musical. But really, this tune happens at the same moment, when all of these pure characters are dying. For Eponine, it may not be physical death, but she has finally realized that Marius has never and will never love her. And yes, she completely dies inside. These characters have all had bad things happen in their lives, mostly to them. The beauty of Hugo's story is that the most innocent characters are the ones who have to suffer the most. But they are the ones who make it to heaven in the end. 




This one may be a little more of a stretch, but bear with me. The advice that the Bishop gives to Valjean after giving him the silver candlesticks is the same tune as when Marius sings after the death of all of his friends. This may be a shot in the dark, but I think it is simply to convey that same feeling of brotherly love. Marius is the survivor,completely devastated with grief, and it's up to him to carry the torch from his friends. I can just see the bishop crouching down by Marius in the empty cafe and singing.
"But remember this my brother
See in this some higher plan....
By the witness of the Martyrs
By the passion and the blood
God has raised you out of darkness
I have saved your soul for God."

And yes, I cried while writing this post. 




No comments:

Post a Comment